Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas Eve Service

For the first time in 20 years I attended a different Christmas Eve service, being the first Christmas my wife and I have spent together.

We decided to stay on this side of the state. But back to the point.....

After the service my mother-in-law and I were discussing the differences between the service tonight and the service I grew up attending.

The United Church of Christ I attended tonight was a very nice service. It opened with Joy to the World and slowed down through scriptures, music, and poems until the lighting of the Christ Candle and a peaceful walkout to Silent Night. My mother-in-law has been attending that church through many pastors since she was in high school and says the service has always been structured in the same basic format.

I contrast that with the United Methodist Church I grew up at. Again through many pastors the Christmas Eve service has not changed. The service usually opens with the Choir and slowly builds up through music, scripture, and the lighting of the Christ candle. At midnight a senior in the bell choir "rings in Christmas" with a large bass bell. After the 12th ring, Carol of the Bells starts from all around and builds up to Joy to the World. Everyone then leaves in excitement for the coming King.

What makes this so interesting is two fold. First the services are almost opposites. One builds up and one slows to a calm peace. Second is how in both of our cases the services never really change. The readings are standard and while the musics varies from year to year it is the same songs at the same times in the service.

If you have the time let me know about your Christmas Eve or holiday service of choice.

Merry Christmas all........

No comments: