Thursday, October 06, 2005

Kitsap Color Classic & Memories

We rode the Kitsap Color Classic last Sunday & had a fun time despite the rain. We rode onto the ferry & biked a big loop from Kingston, through Hansville & Indianola, & back around to the Kingston ferry dock--about 36 miles.
The fall leaves would have been gorgeous in the sunlight, but they still looked pretty, plastered to the wet, wet road. We had some fun downhills, some tough uphills, some cranky drivers, but no flats or injuries! I was hoping to make the turn into the Miller Bay area where my Dad used to live. I have such fond memories of that neighborhood.
Miller Bay Estates...playing Star Wars & the map game in the woods, knowing all the ins & outs & cul-de-sacs as I road my step-mom's bike everywhere, summer afternoons spent in the clubhouse pool, handstand contests in the front yard & stealing my step-mom's yummy tomatoes off the plants on the front porch, my brother's friends having crushes on me & writing hilarious love letters, having Ziggy, the wonderful family dog, take us on walks (or Hearn family outings) around the neighborhood, picking blackberries with my little sister until our hands & mouths were purple, catching garter snakes, & hitting flying termites at dusk, Ziggy always eating something off the counter, Dad's pancake breakfast & Carolyn's Tab, Star Wars marathons on rainy days, dancing in the living room, & eating chocholate chip cookies from the freezer.
Ah, childhood memories are sweet & I wanted to relive some of mine on a ride through Miller Bay, past the old mobile home on Woodruff (if it's still there) & by the house that my Dad designed & built on Harborview Drive. But by the time we came to the turn off to Miller Bay Road we were soaked through & I was getting tired--we'll come back on another day & do the ride down memory lane.

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

What a rich and beautiful snapshot of your growing up! I can just picture you doing all of those things as a little girl and as a young woman. So beautiful your life is! That's so great that you two did the color classic together. I love that!

Have a great cozy weekend! We'll try to stop by just to say hello on Saturday (Kyle's brother Jeff has a housewarming party on the same night in Renton). We love and appreciate you guys.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet Eliza..I'm glad your memories of us are good and pleasant...I love you lots

Carolyn