Thursday, July 13, 2006

Wildlife in Glacier

Definitely one, if not the best, moment of my trip to Glacier was the grey wolf we saw. We were just heading out of the backcountry, driving on a dirt road, & we drove around a car pulled off to the side. Knowing they must be looking at wildlife, we slowed down & spotted the wolf. He was trotting up the hill, in full view, maybe 20 yards away! He stopped, looked back at us, & then continued over the hill. He/she was so beautiful (& skinny!). Boo was able to get a couple great photos.



Also tons of butterflies! I have had a hard time trying to identify this kind, but I think they might be poplar admirals.

Western Toad.

Also saw lots of deer, squirrels & chipmunks. An adorable snowshoe hare that visited us after dinner at Upper Kintla Lake. And...we saw two bears! One on a hike--a black rump high-tailing it in the other direction, probably attempting to escape our singing, which we were doing to avoid surprising any bears, so I guess it worked well. And Levi & I saw a bear down in the lagoon when we were hiking on Boulder Pass, but it was so far away we couldn't tell what kind it was. We did see grizzly poop!

1 comment:

Herman said...

Soooo cool! I love the pictures. Wolves just move so different then dogs don't they?

Yesterday, while walking coal a neighbor told me he say a bear