Monday, November 20, 2006

A Festival of Hope

The 28th annual Keystone Festival was a great success! The event raised over $10,000, all to support development & self-help projects both locally & in developing countries. All had great fun trying on accessories, eating pumpkin pie & learning about the organizations the festival supports.

The Heifer table broke records in a big way! In the 15 odd years that I have run the Heifer booth at this fair, the money generated continues to rise each & every year. At over $2,300, this year's came close to doubling last!

The Pacific Northwest has always been a community concerned about important issues such as global affairs, hunger & poverty, environmental protection & sustainability, social justice & peace. For years, I have watched people wander this fair, learning & donating, discussing & listening & as a result have seen my own concern & involvement grow. And each year I see that same growth of concern, involvement & activism in our communities.
This is what brings me hope.

My Keystone Heifer booth.

I thought it looked especially nice this year--fun to have the added additions of a few new ehtnic dolls.

Gloria & Rita at the bake sale table.

Mom & Aunt Beth enjoying some lunch.

Steve & Mom at the Northwest Harvest booth.

And me, working to "Heiferize" the Northwest!

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

such great news about your fundraising! your booth looks wonderful, eliza. i love seeing the photos from the festival! if i don't talk to you before the holiday-- Happy Thanksgiving! (let's hang out soon.)