Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Thinking of an old friend

Spring is on its way & the Forsythia bushes are in full array.
Their bright yellow blooms are always out in time for my birthday, but have always long since faded by May. My birthday is March 10th & my friend's is May 10th.
My friend Cynthia Camille.
After I met her, I began calling the plant "For Cynthia" & each spring at my birthday I would clip a branch & press it in a book so that she could have the yellow blooms on her birthday.
The Forsythia bush will always remind me of Cynthia.
She probably often seemed shy & quiet to many people, but to me she was silliness & laughter.
We used to race around & climb trees, create games & stories, dress like twins & make up code names for our friends & the boys we liked.
Some of you who read this blog will remember her.
Please send a little thought or prayer her way--
the last I heard, she was not in a good place.

As I see the bright yellow blooms, I think of her & miss her.
May the sun shine warmly upon her,
& may her smile still be as bright as the "For Cynthia" tree.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

didn't she go to whitman? She looks totally familiar.
What a cute thing to do, by the way- clipping branches & pressing them for her until May. :)
-Mandy

Eliza said...

Yes, she was in our class at Whitman.

Aleah said...

I actually have a picture of all of us at Kristen's Halloween party back in Middle School.
I'll be praying for her.

Happy Belated Birthday!
Love, Aleah

Herman said...

That was a very touching post

I;ll say some prayers too