Sunday, April 08, 2007

Darkness

Sitting here after midnight in a dark living room, trying to have a little decompressing time before going to bed--I need it, because we just finished watching the movie "Blood Diamond." Wow.
In this circumstance the conflict, violence, displacement, & example of child-soldiering, center around the diamond industry, but we all know there are dozens of other reasons that produce the same horrific results in other places in Africa. I confess that I don't know much about any of them. After the movie ended, my sister & brother-in-law had gone home, & Levi upstairs, I took the garbage out & then stood in the middle of our driveway, feeling the rain on my bare shoulders. It was quiet & the air smelled fresh; I could see my front door; I could walk to a store & buy anything I wanted; I am safe & have a very privileged life. My heart hurts for all those who only dream of a life as secure & blessed as my own. And I feel I am not doing enough.
In the movie the war-ravaged man asks the journalist:
"You will tell your country about our struggle?"
"Yes."
"And your people, they will help us?"
"Probably not."

The sun will rise in a few hours, bringing light on the day that Christians celebrate as the resurrection of Christ. Right now I feel the dark & despair that accompanied the disciples after Jesus' cruxifiction, but for different reasons. I feel it for the world, for all those living in violence, pain, loss, hunger, poverty & displacement. What hope can I bring them? What can I do to bring a resurrection of light & love into their lives?

No comments: