Thursday, November 22, 2007

G-Paw

My G-paw died on Monday night, peacefully passing in his sleep. He's my Alan's father, my grandfather since I was a toddler. G-paw & G-maw happily welcomed us into the family, even before Mom & Alan were married. We have so many wonderful memories of time spent at their home in Lake Oswego, & more recently, their home in West Seattle.
Here are some of mine.
Working with G-paw in their expansive garden in Oregon. I remember watching him skillfully trim his bonsai trees, patiently tend the corn field, & come up with new ways to keep the birds out of the blueberry patch.
Here he is teaching Kathryn & me to plant seeds.
Perhaps later I will dig out more photos from a childhood enriched by G-paw. He built us a playhouse in the garden, complete with a couch, play stove, & sink with running water. Kathryn & I loved evening happy hour at their house, drinking soda out of wine glasses & developing a love of good cheese. G-paw & G-maw would encourage & clap as Boo & I entertained them, dancing around the living room with streamers. Later, when they moved to West Seattle, they both delighted in the new addition of our husbands to the family. In the last years, it was endearing to watch G-paw doze off at the table after dinner & awaken suddenly with a loud, "What!?", wondering what he had missed.
Here he is with our boys.
Both he & G-maw enjoyed immensely the addition that my mother made to the family & the happiness & support that she brought to their youngest son.
G-paw especially I think, really loved & appreciated my Mama.
G-paw & Boo, just last month.
G-paw & me.
G-maw & G-paw on the 65th wedding anniversary in the winter.
And at the party in the spring.
My Alan expressed the overwhelming feelings of losing so many elders within the last year & the comfort & connection in nature's rhythms.
And here's my post today on 3Things2Things.

On this day of thankfulness, I'm thankful for the life of my G-paw.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Eliza..Kathryn called us yesterday while they were driving to Spokane and told us..Please know you are all in our prayers..

Sending you lots and lots of love!!

Casey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your G-Paw, Eliza...it sounds like you were both a blessing to one another, and truly had a special bond :)

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers...

Kristen Gough said...

what a beautiful reflection, eliza. i am so moved by the beautiful ways you all live and share life with each other in your family. your G-Paw sounds like a very special person. May your family be surrounded by love and peace during this season.

Herman said...

:( don't really know what to say. I am thinking about all of you

(((hugs)))

Eliza said...

Thank you all for your kind words & thoughts. Gpaw would be pleased to know that so many pretty ladies were exclaiming over him. :)