Friday, November 09, 2007

My Current Focus

Two posts in as many days! :)
Below is the exhibit for arts & social justice at St. Mark's Cathedral that I have been working on.
The artist, Betty LaDuke, is highly acclaimed, & has visited many Heifer projects in multiple countries, returning home to express their hope & interconnectedness in vivid colors.
I finished hanging the exhibit on Monday & it is up until December 16th, with tours every Wednesday at 1pm (or by appointment).
You are all invited to the big reception on Sunday, November 18th at 4pm. The artist will be giving a tour of her work & there will be local sheep's cheese (delicious!), breads, cider & wine.


It truly is a unique venue for an art exhibit & it fits perfectly in the space.


I adore Betty's work; the colors, the holistic intertwined images, the hope & dignity portrayed on the faces of the people Heifer has partnered with to make a better life.
The two below are my favorite:

Ecuador: Spinning Dreams
Peru: Tree of Life
I am hoping to get a large print of this one.
Both have ignited a strong desire to visit llama/alpaca projects in South America.
Hopefully, this will be in my travel plans for next year.

7 comments:

Alan said...

Nice.

Where is the exhibit?

Eliza said...

At St. Mark's Cathedral on Capitol Hill. If you look closely in some of the photos that show floor, you will notice a labyrinth painted on the stone floor. :)

Alan said...

Cool - good edit - ;)

Some of my labyrinth books & pocket labyrinths came from the St Mark's gift shop across the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

We published a profile feature on Betty LaDuke last year. I'm sure the opportunity to see her works in person far exceeds that of seeing them in digital print. I encourage everyone who can manage to attend the event to go. Regards, Misty Ericson, Publisher & Editor, www.hercircleezine.com.

Eliza said...

Thanks for the comment, Misty.
I must inform all that the exhibit is not the original artwork, but high quality, life size prints, called giclee prints.

Herman said...

looks really nifty. I wish i could get myself together enough to see it in real life. I hope it's a successful exhibit for you

giiiiiiiicleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kristen Gough said...

The show looks great, Eliza! Way to go on all your hard work this season. You are doing a tremendous job in your new position with Heifer! It is so fun to see all the photographs and hear a bit about what you've been up to. I continue to be so proud of you. :)