Thursday, January 03, 2008

Elyse's Christmas Present

A while back I removed my mothers old bike from our garage. I had intended to give it to a charity or sell it on craigslist. After finding out the charity had all the old ten-speeds it could handle and no-one wanting to pay me $35 for there own rebuilding project I got the bright idea to try rebuilding a bike myself. The reason I had not done this previously it the bike is way to small for both myself and Eliza.




As you can see from above the project was going to be an involved one. The bike was never going to shift again and the amount of rust was pretty amazing. Gotta love steel frames.

So I completely disassembled the bike, got out a drimmel, degreaser, scotch-brite, and elbow grease. I had to buy a few parts because some were beyond repair and some were needed to covert this old rusty item into a slick hip single speed.

In the end I am very happy with how it turned out. I was able to save the original wheels, paint, stickers, seat, bars, bearings, brakes, and levers.






Heres to hoping this bike has many happy days on the streets of Bellingham.

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

Nice work, Levi! Kyle and I both think it's a beauty. Elyse is one lucky girl--to have such a generous brother, and a great *new* bike to ride around town.