Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Craving Community

It's been an emotional week.
My thoughts have been very much on the foundations & patterns of life. On death & birth, beginnings & endings. Sometimes death comes unexpectedly & other times it is a long walk to the end. Birth, in its many forms--babies, lambs, spring flowers--is beautiful & affirming. Both are life altering & are affecting people very close to me.
I think these thoughts have manifested in me a craving for community. It has been comforting & grounding this week to discover it while celebrating my Grandma Linda's 80th birthday, while having a long dinner remembering a loved one with my sister & aunts, while playing with my little niece, while standing on the block I grew up on visiting with my folks & watching neighbors garden & children play, while biking around Lake Sammamish with Levi & two good friends, while going to church & singing with my mom, while walking in the sunshine to the Wallingford market chatting with my co-worker.
Levi & I both leave on Thursday. Him to experience new community in New York City, as he explores with Chris & watches the M's play in Yankee Stadium. Me as I head off to run a Heifer program in Los Gatos, finding community in old friends & the wonderful people that are our volunteers.
I hope each of you find community to rejoice in.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good post Liza Beans...the pictures are great too..especially the dandelions..

It's been a tough week here and it's only Tuesday..OY..

Kristen Gough said...

i hear you, eliza! sending you love and hugs. :)

Anonymous said...

miss eliza! imagine my surprise when i read the title of this post after going on and on last wknd abt "craving community." must be a vibe bigger than both of us....