Saturday, September 22, 2012

Nursery

I finally got around to taking photos of the nursery, though I wish I had a better camera, lighting, & photography skills. It was super fun for me to decorate, make some things & arrange the room. I didn't go with any traditional pastel colors or prints & was a bit concerned about how my eclectic tastes would come together, but it worked out. While Ruthless won't care either way, I feel happy bringing him home to this space. The first few photos are of the room as a whole (as much as I could capture), followed by some detail photos with info. 






























  • Bench -- I was thrilled to find this great idea for a combined bench & bookcase. I had trouble deciding on the print to make the upholstered top so we took votes at our house party in July & ended up with Red Leaf sturdy indoor/outdoor fabric. The blue bins came from Target.
  • Curtains -- I sewed these myself & could not have done it without my mom's help! Notice from the first photo that the curtain rod is a long branch of driftwood, found at Rialto Beach, one of our favorite stretches of Washington coastline that we have been backpacking since we first began dating almost 12 years ago. Fabric Birch Forest (Carousel Designs).
  • Pillows -- this was my first attempt at sewing pillow covers & as with all my sewing projects, I had to make myself forge ahead, knowing they wouldn't be perfect but they'd be done & no one would likely notice the flaws but me. Fabric Retro Owls (Carousel Designs).


  























  • Cupboard -- this is the one thing in the room not for the baby. With no additional workspace I knew I couldn't completely give up the entire room, so this wonderfully large cupboard holds a lot of my craft supplies. My mom has a knack for finding awesome cupboards (this being the second one I have received from her!) & I finally sanded, repainted & put new knobs on it.
  • Raggedy Ann & Andy -- made by my Grandma Donnie.


  • Mobile -- I knew I wanted to make a mobile & found a tutorial for this cute, very cheap & relatively easy, sewn paper mobile. Ours hangs from driftwood pieces gathered from the coastline of the Olympic National Park.
  • Shoes -- his own hand-painted Toms from Auntie Boo.
  • Sweater -- this teeny sweater with a llama on the front came from Cusco, Peru, when Levi & I were there in 2010. We discovered that all baby & kid clothing in Peru is tiny -- if we're lucky it might fit Ruthless for a week.



  • Crib -- after looking at lots of options, I was happy with this simple, inexpensive crib from IKEA. Crib sheets & changing pad covers were things I didn't feel like tackling handmade, so these two chevron print cuties came from a seller on Etsy.
  • House Prints -- unfortunately, you can't really see from this photo how adorable the three little house prints are. I kept debating what to put on this wall & one day remembered these colorful little drawings made by my friend Kristen. I love how they turned out in the different colored frames & that it is art made by a friend.


































  • Shelf -- $3 thrift store find (I added the red knobs) that livens up the wall & holds a few treasures. Levi has a collection of wood animals from his childhood & I've been meaning to get out one or two of those also.
  • Globe lantern -- in case anyone is as obsessed with finding a cute, accurate globe lantern (in the third photo from the top), I finally found this one for an affordable price, except it had to be shipped from Australia. The company has some beautiful little things: Naughts & Crosses.

 Thank you to everyone who made or gave wonderful gifts for Ruthless & his little room!

3 comments:

Carolyn Hearn said...

What a fun tour...thanks for sharing!

Kristen Gough said...

oh, eliza! his room is absolutely perfect! --so many special details throughout. i feel so honored to have a few of my little drawings adorning one of the walls! and i just delight in your creativity and your thoughtfulness in creating such a welcoming and bright and cheerful space for your son (and for you and levi as you spend time with him here)! i especially love the driftwood accents and the homemade decor! thinking about you a ton and praying for you in these final days of your pregnancy, and cannot wait to hear the happy news when your baby boy arrives!! i love you, dear friend!

Jenny said...

It all turned out so awesome and I'm super impressed with all you tackled as a first time sew-er!

Love it! Prayers for a safe and painless delivery :)