Friday, October 19, 2012

Outings

These days I try not to be wedded to or have expectations for outings with Blake. This helps keep me flexible & better able to deal with the unexpected, as well as not be disappointed when things don't work out the way I might originally hope. It's a good thing to practice & really helps me to better enjoy whatever does happen, instead of being caught up in what I thought should have happened. It's still necessary though for me to mentally prepare for the outing. Sometimes that means thinking about what Blake might need, or adapting to an "on-the-go feeding", or simply mentally preparing for the event including the possibility of bailing (& listening to Blake wail all the way home).
With this all in my mind, we committed to our friends' extra Sounders tickets for Wednesday night, planning to take Blake to his first game. And wouldn't you know it, it went great! He sacked out fast asleep on the walk to the stadium & stayed warm & cozy in his wrap carrier well into the second half. He even got to meet Brandon & Janelle (& soon to be little Elijah) at halftime! We didn't press our luck & left 15 minutes early to avoid the crowds on the way out -- a wise decision since Blake was getting cranky by the time we got back to the car. It's exciting to think this is just the beginning of fun events with our son!

No comments: