Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Discovered on Sunday that Blake stops crying when I sing. The first sign of this was in church -- he was a little fussy, but whenever we sung, he would quiet down. So later that afternoon, when he was particularly fussy, I just started singing & after a few last gulps of air, Blake completely quieted down, looking at me wide-eyed while I sang away. The radio however, does not cut it. On Monday he was fussy in the car & I sang along with the radio to no avail, but as soon as I turned the radio off & sang solo, he settled down. Awesome new trick. Must learn more songs.

1 comment:

Alan said...

This book includes the suggestion that mothers calming babies may have been the origin of music - The Singing Neanderthals: The Origins of Music, Language, Mind, and Body - and from that language :)