Saturday, January 28, 2006

New treasures


I wanted to show off some of my newest treasures. The painting was a gift from my Uncle Steve, also the artist. His many colored abstracts have always graced the walls of my grandparents' house & my sister & I feel so lucky to now have a small collection of our own (I have two, she has three). This green painting fits in so well with the "nature theme" that we seem to have going in our living room (& house!).
The dolls are a recent & very great addition to my small native doll collection. A few years ago, my mother gave me a couple of native dolls to display at my Heifer International booth at the Festival of Hope. Last Tuesday morning presented an incredible opportunity to add to my collection. At the Musuem of History & Industry, they have received hundreds of dolls over the decades, most of them simply sitting in archives. They decided to sell all the dolls, raising money for the musuem in the process. Mom & I went to the sale at the opening & it was very interesting to see all the different dolls. These dolls were great finds--from Ecuador, Mexico, Poland--all places Heifer has projects.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dolls and the picture look really good together!!

Love ya,
Carolyn

Kristen Gough said...

Wow. These are beautiful treasures. I agree with Carolyn that the dolls look stunning in front of the greens of the painting. I so enjoy your collections, and the meanings and stories that go with them! Thank you for sharing!