Monday, June 26, 2006

Fly fishing the Deschuttes

Deschuttes River

The bikes were going to be great for getting is further up the river quickly. We headed out the first day & rode about four miles before Levi got a flat. Not long after, both Chris & I had flats also. It was a long, hot walk back to camp. Note: always bring lots of extra tubes.

Levi outfitted with flies on his hat.


I should have known my favorite thing about fly-fishing would be the bugs. We stopped at a tackle shop before heading out of town & I had a great time looking over the hundreds of different handtied flies. It was even more fun to be on the river & see the insects our flies were immitating, from nymph stage to 4 inch flying bug! The photo is not an insect that begins life in the water, but a North American Darkling Beetle. Very cool beetles--I used to have one as a pet!

Levi casting.

Liza casting--do I know what I am doing? Not yet, but it's fun!

We are cool.

Awesome cliff.


"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it."
Norman Maclean

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

amazing pictures. looks like you had a very fun time.

shari said...

gorgeous pictures and a super cool beetle!