Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Five Senses Week (is it possible for me to make a short post?)

I have fallen a bit behind & now have two senses to catch up on!
Believe it or not, I have been working 9 to 10 hour days at work, getting both our sample rooms completely cleaned up & organized for inventory. Anywho...on to important things like my favorite senses!...

Tuesday-Taste: after viewing Bree's blog & discovering the favorite sense for the day, I thought & thought. Many flavors came to mind, but it wasn't until I was eating my salad today that I settled upon black olives. Biting into one immediately brings to mind images & memories of my Mom's family, the Goweys. As long as I can remember, there has always been an appetizer dish of black olives out on the tables before dinner time. There are sixteen Gowey grandchildren & as kids, we use to stick the olives on our fingertips, waggling them around in each other's faces, before savoring each one from each of our ten digits. Memories from the Gowey family, especially ones that took place in my grandparents' house, are particularly in my mind, as my Grandma Donnie left us just three short months ago. The taste of olives will always remind me of Gowey gatherings; of the kids' table we sat around in the brightly lit kitchen; of childhood silliness with my cousins, all of whom I continue to treasure as adults. Here is a photo of Amanda Jane, the youngest grandchild, carrying on the tradition with an olive on her little finger (& one in her mouth).

That's it for me tonight--I'll just stick with my belated schedule & do "touch" tomorrow (something to think about while working the day away).

G'night, friends.

1 comment:

Kristen Gough said...

Wonderful! I love how you share from your heart, Eliza. This is such a great post!