Monday, January 01, 2007

The season of giving

Though we still have two more family Christmases to go (with Elyse & with the Winstons, both next weekend), I feel as though the holidays are winding down. It's the new year & we all must return to work tomorrow. While cleaning & organizing tonight, there was many reflections going through my head--thoughts on the past year & on this holiday season coming to a close. Part of my work today has been to find homes for new Christmas gifts--always a fun task. My good friend Kristen posted photos of some of her favorite Christmas presents on her blog & then invited friends to do the same.
Here are a few of mine:
This gift is from that very friend, Kristen. For quite a while now she has been drawing colorful little scenes & often sharing them on her blog. This is one that I fell in love with & she framed it for me as a Christmas present. A friend that understands my heart. :)

This wonderful Skookum doll pair were a gift from my Mom & Alan. They were found at the event in February when the Musuem of History & Industry sold off many of the dolls donated over the years. They are such a beautiful pair, in excellent condition, & now a treasured part of my Skookum doll collection.

From my sister & Albert: a new gorgeous, warm Patagonia Capilene, in my favorite sunny yellow! Who's up for a winter hike, so I can try it out? :) You might also notice the wires from my new iPod shuffle, a gift from my hubby, that is already seeing much use.

A yummy, fuzzy scarf from my Dad & Carolyn, in the palest of winter pinks. It's so soft & perfect for my coloring.

And of course, the books. We have a tradition in my family called the "book pile." Every year as far back as I can remember, my sister & I have always had a book pile waiting for us on the coffee table on Christmas morning. There is always sounds of delight as each book is lifted off & another discovered underneath. Now, books make up quite a bit of our Christmas wish lists. One of my favorite subjects has always been treehouses & these were two missing from my library on tree dwellings--one from Mom & Alan, one from Ralph & Lois.

I've long wanted to read more from John Muir & this is a collection of some of the adventures had by the naturalist & adventurer. A gift from my younger sister Emily, her husband Anthony, & their baby girl, Tillie.

A gorgeous book from my cousin Megan, who drew my name in the now 14 person Gowey cousin gift exchange. Levi & I have been visiting a different national park every year (first Yellowstone, then Glacier, & Yosemite will be our destination this summer) & I'm sure our list will grow after browsing this book.

I don't have my copy yet, but it was to be included in my book pile from Mom & Alan. I am very excited to read about the incredible, groundbreaking Grameen Bank.

I'm including a photo of four of my favorite Christmas cards just for fun. The lower lefthand corner is my friend Kristen's card. Her husband, Kyle, is an amazingly talented artist & the sketch is his own. The white snowflake in the upper righthand corner is special in a very unique way--seeds are imbedded in the biodegradable fibers & once I plant the snowflake it will grow blue Forget-me-not flowers.

And last, but not least, the awesome new camera that took all these photos! Much thanks to my hubby & his family for my great new digital camera that I am enjoying immensely.

Thank you to all for the wonderful gifts & cards--
I love each & every expression of giving during this season.
Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Eliza
I can't believe you guys still have more family Christmas celebrations! You have a huge family, it sounds like!
And great presents! Thanks for sharing photos of them. I love seeing what great presents others received :)
xo-Mandy

Aleah said...

You have more Christmas get togethers than we do!!
Have fun!

Love the pictures of your gifts. I'm especially interested in the tree house books. : )

Eliza said...

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing more family for Christmas gatherings this weekend. :)

Aleah, you'll have to come over sometime to check out my treehouse library--I think I have over half-a-dozen books on the subject (there's more out there, but many aren't worth owning).

Kristen Gough said...

wow. awesome gifts! so fun to see the treasures you received this year. i love the idea of a book pile for christmas morning. and those treehouse books look amazing! let's all get together and look at books!! love you, liza. xoxo, kristen

Carolyn said...

I'm so happy you like the scarf!!! I always look forward to the Hearn gathering..This year especially as Christmas with my folks was kind of sad....The Hearn gathering was so much more cheerful! I love you and your big sis so much. I feel blessed to be your step mean-mother! :)
Love you!