Friday, May 04, 2007

That time of year again...

Yup, it's Bike to Work Month!
It was an interesting kick-off week for me: Wednesday I pulled up to the University Bridge (a vital part of my commute) & it's barricaded off! Later I would learn about the huge sink hole caused by the broken water main. It was a fun adventure to continue on the trail into Fremont & head up Dexter into downtown. Even though it adds a couple extra miles to my commute, I might even prefer this route, were it not for the fact that I miss my favorite part of the morning when crossing the University Bridge with water on both sides & light coming through the clouds & highlighting the mountains. That afternoon, my work riding buddy & I headed out together to navigate the new route home through the wind & rain. I was very glad she came with me, as I took a spill on the Fremont Bridge trying to cross wet construction boards. None to worry, I am always very good at taking tumbles only when I'm out of traffic--it was actually on the sidewalk. So, there you have it--I traveled a new route, did battle with the sidewalk, totaled 85 miles this week & now the University Bridge is back open & next week is suppose to be sunny & dry! Yeah!!

2 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

Whoa! You're awesome, Eliza. What a first week! (I've been hoping you'd do a post about your riding.) I'm sorry to hear about your fall--that's never fun. You're quite the inspiration to me! I'm looking forward to more posts about your bike-to-work-month adventures and accomplishments! Way to go on your mileage!

Carolyn said...

Ouch!! But, I recall you said that you had learned how to fall with minimal damage!! :) Ride safe this month and I hope we get to see you soon!!

Love you!