Sunday, August 19, 2007

RSVP

This weekend we biked 183 miles from Seattle to Vancouver, B.C. It was a great trip, with no mishaps--Liza stayed on her bike & no one in our group even got a flat! We headed out Friday morning with good friends Joy & Mike & arrived at our Bellingham midway point at 3:30pm that afternoon. After a night's rest we hit the road again & got into Vancouver at 2:30pm on Saturday. We averaged 15.7 miles an hour & spent about 11 hours in the saddle. We enjoyed this ride much more than the Seattle to Portland--it's much smaller (7,000 riders smaller!) & includes better scenery & some great climbs. My favorite parts:
  • leading up to Mt. Vernon, riding in sunshine through remote rolling green hills & blue lakes
  • powering through the hills on Chuckanut Drive with peek-a-boo views of the water & islands
  • Vancouver itself-we rode through the outlying suburbs & then into the city central-we got to see different houses & architechture, the international district, a wedding party taking photos on a cobblestone street, & a street closed for filming that was covered with snow!
  • Before I left, my mom told me one of the things that she liked best about the city was listening to all the different languages. With her in mind, I kept my ears open as I rode through the city & just in a few blocks, I heard four!
Levi hydrating at a quick stop in Snohomish.

We were very happy to get into Bellingham & have an awesome dinner with our friends Gabe & Lindsay & their little girl Olivia. It was especially fun as Elyse & JP joined us.

Olivia & her daddy.

Mike at our day two lunch stop, just on the other side of the Canadian border.

Joy & me--we ride like girls!!

Finish line in downtown Vancouver, B.C.

Boo & Bet came up to meet us in Vancouver & we had dinner at a Creole restaurant. Here we're trying alligator!

The boys.

Sunset over the Granville St. bridge in Vancouver.
Big thanks to our ride companions, food & overnight providers, & transportation!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Kristen told me you were doing this...I'm so glad you have pictures already! Congratulations on the trip- I might be tempted to do this if my beach cruiser was 1)lighter 2)had more than one gear and 3)didn't have pedal breaks.

I need to go hydrate just thinking about it. Off to get a glass of water...

Kristen Gough said...

Nice job! Sounds like an amazing time. Glad to hear there were no mishaps! This ride is on my list...maybe next summer?? :)