Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My favorite chunk of cheese...

For a few weeks now, I've been attempting to collect my thoughts about the passing of my grandfather, Ed Gowey. Nothing I write in my journal or begin to write here sums up either his life or my feelings on his passing--some things just cannot be expressed in words.
The service was very nice, especially the long essay that my mother wrote & read aloud about his life. He was such a kind, generous man, that devoted himself to the well-being of his family.
I visited Grandpa a little over a week before he died & it was a good day. I stopped by on the way home from a bike ride, as was my habit. He sat hunched over in his chair, but made an effort to look up when I sat next to him. I talked about what was new & told him how Levi & I were going to ride our bikes to Vancouver, B.C. He looked at me, with that playful shine in his eyes that I'd seen so many times before, & said, "I hope it doesn't rain." And, like always, when I kissed him goodbye & put my bike helmet back on, he said, "Glad you stopped by. Love you. Be careful."
Today I sat in the warm afternoon sunshine in my grandparents' garden & thought about them. Death is such a hard thing for the living to comprehend--it brings tears to my eyes every time I stop to think about the reality that both of these extraordinary people are gone from this earth. But their lives & examples live on in their family & in any who were blessed to know them. They both had a strong & abiding faith & I rejoice that they now live eternally, watching over our family.
Gracious Spirit, dwell with me;
I myself would gracious be;
And with words that help and heal
Would Thy life in mine reveal;
And with actions bold and meek
Would for Christ my Savior speak.

3 comments:

Kristen Gough said...

oh, how i love your heart, Eliza. this reflection is so beautiful. do you just treasure that photo from your wedding? what a wonderful, joyful picture of the four of you! it was a blessing for me to read your thoughts about your beloved grandpa this morning. what a beautiful family you have been given through your Gowey grandparents!

Alan said...

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful post Eliza..I wish I could have been there Saturday, but I don't think Tillie would have survived..You have been so fortunate to have Grandparents (lot of them) for a long time in your life..you've gotten to benefit from their wisdom learned thru time..

Love you kiddo!!