Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas Traditions

I love this time of year, the joy & anticipation of greeting Christmas. It's sad that the holidays are a stressful, hectic time for so many people--let's find the peace!
A few holiday traditions...
Holiday Brunch with my girlfriends Jen & Kelly & their families.
We've celebrated together three or four years running now.
Here's Levi with Eden.
And me with Payton.
And all the girls!
Celebrating Christmas at the Gowey house in Lake Forest Park is a long-standing tradition. My grandparents moved into the house when my mother was four years old, so the traditions span decades & generations. This year will be very different, as both my grandparents are gone, but we're celebrating the traditions that center around their house, as this may be the last Christmas we spend in it. Sunday evening a number of us gathered to put up & decorate the tree (cut from the property, as tradition), line the santas on the mantle, & set up the creche with the lit star. We drank cocoa & sat by the fire & looked forward to the day that all 40 something Goweys will gather together to celebrate Christmas. I look forward to the day & hurt at the same time, because of the absence of Grandma Donnie & Grandpa Ed.
And last night my friend Liz & I met at Swanson's for our annual Christmas outing. I believe we started this tradition the year that Liz's father passed away, 1999, & have gone almost every year since. It's amazing how much the nursery has changed & we've enjoyed the addition of the Christmas reindeer.
Goofing around with hats at the gift shop. This photo is for all you owl lovers out there. It's a children's hat, but I also thought it would make a spiffy tea cozy.
My 'Lizabeth & me.

No comments: