Thursday, October 11, 2012

Birthing Story

It's been 12 days since I delivered Blake & I have finally begun to journal about my labor/his birth. My doula really encouraged me to do this & last week Levi wrote it on our fridge list of "things to do." I think I have hesitated because I knew I would write a lot -- indeed, I'm four full pages in & still going strong. I made the decision early on, with Levi's support, to have an unmedicated birth & am still somewhat surprised that I made it through. It was amazing & by far the hardest physical feat I have ever accomplished. My total labor was 12 hours & relentless -- from 8am until Blake was born at 5:15pm, there was never more than a 6 minute break between contractions. During varying times I was surprised at the intensity, feared the process, doubted myself, & felt a strong determination to see it through. I would not have been able to do it without the incredible, non-stop support of Levi, our doula Rebecca, & the nursing staff at Evergreen Hospital. I have found so much value in hearing the birthing stories of friends -- we learn from one another's experiences & find important insights & affirmations as we share our intimate & empowering stories. I am happy to share more of my story with those who would like to hear it.

4 comments:

That's my middle name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
That's my middle name said...

we'll go for a walk with the little man one day soon, I'd like to hear about it. You did great!

(I had to delete the previous comment, as I don't know that you know my google ID....it's me, Auntie Ellen! )

Kristen Gough said...

I love this sweet photo of Blake and your journal, And I love your beautiful heart too Eliza. It was such a gift for me to be with you this past week and hear your story; I am so proud of you!! You are a wonderful mother!

Jenny said...

I want to hear more!